This, of course, landed conveniently in the middle of my cooties. The thought of having to rip apart a junkyard heap with a fever was just adding to my headache. My Sensei, Jim (I call him that because he's a repair ninja) agreed to help me take the donor car apart. On junkyard day he called and said his neighbor needed a part and they grabbed it for me. Hallelujah! I was so thrilled I rolled over and tried to sleep off more of the fever. Luckily, except for the intimidating large Cadillac stalker guy they met in the junkyard, he said they didn't have much trouble getting the part.
I had a chance to take apart my car again tonight. You'd think that since this strut was off only 3 months ago it would come right apart but that wasn't the case. I marked all my bolts (gotta think about that $60 alignment I just paid for) and, when one of the lower bolts wouldn't budge, I had to get out "the equalizer" aka hand sledge's bigger brother. Unfortunately, I ended up mushrooming the tip of one retaining bolt. That's not a mushroom tip you... wait, off track. Long, long, story short, I didn't injure myself and I had the car back together in about an hour (1.5 hr with cleanup that included a drop light that exploded when I introduced it to the jack). Grand parts total for this week is about $15. I just can't wait to see what breaks next week. *sigh*
No comments:
Post a Comment