I didn't even make it two weeks since I last tore into my Grand Prix. On one hand, I have no more ABS/Traction Control issues. On the other, I was the proud owner of a nondescript squeak and pop from the front of my car. It was really annoying (and probably unsafe) so I immediately looked into the source. Amber and Tony both rocked the car as I tried to find the noise. After several minutes of trying and switching off, none of us could figure out what the cause. Before I tore the car apart, Jim was nice enough to stop by and take a listen. Almost like a ninja, he immediately called out the ball joint. Sure enough as soon as I pulled it apart, the ball joint had an obvious problem. Adding to the issues, one of the control arm bushings was also starting to fail. At $45 for a ball joint, $10 for a bushing and about 2 hours of work, it was going to be a chore.
The old lower control arm with busted bushing (right) and bad ball joint (hidden by brake)
A close-up of the jacked up ball joint with a ripped boot frombeating the hell out of it with a ball joint separator tool.
Luckily, Ben pointed me to RockAuto.com where I was able to purchase an entire lower control arm for about $75. I was able to get the old control arm off and the new one in place in under 30 minutes. Had I not needed a trip to AutoZone to buy a replacement for my rusted end-link kit, I would have been done in about an hour. Unfortunately, that trip, some custom "fabrication" for busted GM ABS line clips and a quick oil change, I clocked in just about 2 hours.
I was thrilled. Well, until I pulled out of the driveway. As I pulled into the street, I heard a telltale pop from the driver-side. I'm pretty sure that ball joint is going too. To add insult to injury the alignment is off. That means, kids, my ball joints had so much play, it jacked up the alignment and the fine fellows at the alignment shop didn't bother to check it. Yay. So, I guess my consolation prize is dropping another $75 to fix the other side and $70 for a friggin' alignment. I guess that's the price for driving a 10yr old piece of Detroit's finest.
Shiny new lower control arm w/ new bushings & ball joint (thanks China!)
Look, a new end-link kit too. I'm going to have a fully restored 2000 Grand Prix soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment