Sunday, April 12, 2009

Voiding the Warranty on the Netbook

I've owned my Aspire One for over a month now and I've enjoyed using it to browse the web, watch shows off the HTPC and, of course, writing boring blogs for nobody to read. In an odd move, I got highly motivated last night. I completely disassembled the poor netbook and replaced the 8gb SSD with a 1.8" 20gb LIF drive (like the ones used in iPods). I also replaced the 512mb memory chip with a 1gb one bringing the total to 1.5gb of RAM. Everything went smooth until I popped off the escape key. The keyboard mount body is aluminum but the key mechanism is plastic. I'll let you guess which one lost. So now, I don't have an escape key. But, the internet is strong. It only took a few minutes on the Aspire User boards to find someone with a keyboard missing a different key. So, for $6.00 I will soon be the owner of a replacement board so I have 26+ more keys I can break. It was quite the adventure and I am thankful to all the posts I read and video's that were published. Who knows, maybe one day I'll get out my soldering iron and go crazy like TankGirl. I doubt it, but it was a good thought.








No comments:

Post a Comment