Monday, April 20, 2009
Remember when 1TB was expensive?
Despite all the poor publicity, I love our Vista Media Center PC. It's by no means perfect and I doubt Microsoft will ever listen enough to make it land somewhere between a TIVO and my Panasonic PVR but I've hacked a buttload of stuff that makes it rather bearable. The HP slimline sits next to our jankey 32" used to be top of the line Sony CRT TV. I digress, this is all beside the point. I used to think a 500gb hard drive was huge and I would never fill it. Since the Microsoft "compression" produces almost a 2.5gb file for 1hr of TV, the Spring line-up has filled us near capacity. My only choices were to (1) re-route files to the NAS or (2) upgrade the internal drive. I chose option 2 and purchased a WD Green 1tb drive for $92 (crapola! I paid $168 each for 1tb drives a year ago). Thanks to Lonnie, when Ghost failed miserably, I used the Linux based Clonezilla to do the dirty work of transferring the existing data. Unfortunately, I could not resize the primary partition because HP creates a partition that contains the system restore and NTFS partitions must be contiguous to resize. Long story short, I had to kill the rebuild partition, resize minus the 10gb for restore, create a new 10gb partition, then dump the restore partition back over. Cloned, scheduled disk check, went to bed. No issues and it's still running after 3 days. Pics to follow.

Labels:
1tb,
clonezilla,
ghost,
hp slimline,
media center,
vista
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment