Friday, April 17, 2009

How to remove trailer lights

Let's say I've got a utility trailer that's about 5years old and you need to remove the tail lights to fix the wiring. Let's say the manufacturer used crappy lights that have metal carriage bolts into plastic. Now when the bolts rust out and I try to remove them, the plastic strips out and the lights are stuck. Since the bars that hold the lights on are angle iron, there's very little room to get in a cut-off wheel, there's plastic involved so the smoke wrench is out and despite my best efforts, the air chisel didn't work. Here's what I did. Use the cut-off wheel to go straight down the bolt splitting it in half. This weakens the bolt enough so the air chisel makes light work out of the remainder. Lucky for me the bolts were stuck in the stripped out plastic. I used a socket and a hammer to get those out. Geesh! They're apart now. All I need to do is fix the wiring and reassemble. Yay me. Pics to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment