Yesterday was Earth Day. In commemoration, my work handed out reusable shopping bags and flower seeds. That was pretty cool. I'm not an earth nut but I do my part sometimes. What's poor is that most of the talk of Global Warming and the Green initiative was started in response from a 2005 paper entitled The Science of Climate Change written by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. The problem is that this report was redacted after final peer review before publishing to remove unimportant statements like, "No study to date has positively attributed all or part [of the climate change observed to date] to anthropogenic [man-made] causes." or "None of the studies cited above has shown clear evidence that we can attribute the observed [climate] changes to the specific cause of increases in greenhouse gases." You can read about it here (via sepp.org). The TV show 20/20 even ran a show debunking global warming. Further, there have even been investigations into political interference at federal climate science agencies in which the author of a rather extensive report [.pdf file] alleged, "The government has failed to provide any justifications for these increasingly restrictive policies and practices, which seem to kick in whenever there is a politically-inconvenient science."
So here's how I sum up Earth Day. Politicians can call it "Global Warming" or "Green Initiative" but that's all hot air that ironically contributes to the exact thing they are trying to halt. Do Earth Day every day not because it's trendy but because it makes sense to do many of these things. Granted, I don't recycle as much as I should and I let my car warm up in the mornings but even a little effort is a positive one. Now, I'm going to stop before I start hugging trees and skipping around fields of butterflies. Burn fossil fuels respectfully and have a green day... er, good day.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment