Tuesday, January 13, 2009

How to Replace a Kitchen Floor

Ok, let's say you're tired of looking at the old linoleum in the kitchen and are especially bothered by the huge rip the previous owner left you as a gift. Yeah, it took several years to gather motivation but like a snowball in a cartoon, it quickly grew into action. So, what follows is my explanation on how to replace a linoleum floor.

Step 1. Hire someone to replace your floor.
Step 2. Drink your favorite frosty beverage.
Step 3. Enjoy

Seriously, though. I did mine and although it took about 3 days longer than expected and I have little trim work to finish, I believe it turned out pretty nice.

Original Floor:

Ripping up the old junk:Laying down the tile. It's a start!
4 out of 5 professions will point out that a hammer and tile don't mix. I guess my experiement confirmed this fact. This is best expressed mathematically as: Tile + Hammer + angular velocity = chipped tile = tile removal - sanity + use of profanity^2.
And magically it goes from a partially finished floor to one that is complete, grouted and sealed. Most of that was a blur, however, I think I could recreate the same results in a highly controlled environment.

Special thanks to Alvin, Jason, Tony and Mark. If it weren't for your help, I would probably be hospitalized with an unfinished floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment