Monday, January 5, 2009

Harmony 670


What was a guy to do with all those Best Buy gift cards? No, I didn't burn them. Even though Best Buy seems to hate it's customers, I opted to do my part to help the recession with some good old fashion consumer spending. I guess from the title, you already know I purchased a Harmony 670 remote control. Despite the misleading picture, mine does not float in the air. Although this frog may disagree, I'm pretty sure we haven't perfected anti-gravity much less shrunk it into a remote.

Here's a quick overview. The remote is fully programmable. You'll need an inventory of your equipment to get started. Hint, if you have a soon antequated tube tv good luck pulling the model off the back. The fun part is that Logitech's software is pseudo web-based. They have an application that installs on your computer complete with drivers for the usb-connected device. In reality, it runs a web app to program your remote. In theory, you could customize your remote from work and update it once you got home (yeah, I'm a geek). The initial programming is pretty simple. Getting all the hard and soft buttons where you like them is the challenge. I've probably reprogrammed this thing 15 times in the week I've had it. There are still a few tweaks I find here or there but the ease in programming makes it pretty simple. Now, listen up Logitech. It'd be nice if this doohickey was bluetooth so I could lose the wire. The only downside is that the remote does not seem to have codes for the wife... of course, then she'd buy one for herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment