Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Car Czar is a Dictator... and a President!

After many of GWB's decisions, I often asked myself what political party he was trying to represent. He seemed to jump back and forth between Liberal and Conservative policies like Jack and his candle stick. I had been hoping for some consistency but now I'm realizing that probably not the best thing. There is no question in my mind that our new President is a hard-core left wing "as big government as we can get" guy and that's fine if you're into that kind of thing. Now, asking a CEO of the embattled US auto maker GM to step down in turn for government money and control assistance just reinforces that notion to the nth degree. Now, don't get me wrong here. Someone needed to beat down help restructure the US auto industry. I was hoping it was more like a bankruptcy judge that kept the different company's interests in mind. I guess this means it's time for another episode of let's pee on the auto industry!

[Warning: soapbox] Oh, it gets better. Both Chrysler and GM submitted restructuring proposals and the government rejected them!?... that's right... rejected them!? Now the government, specifically the President, is getting directly involved in the restructuring and even keeps threatening letting them go bankrupt. But, come on, GM's got the Volt and Chrysler's got the... look, there's a shiny object over there! Where's the free market people? The banks got money, are still losing gobs of cash each day, keep asking for more and nobody's asking for their restructuring plan or CEO resignations! Even then, not all banks can get cash and many are still having to fold despite the bailout. Consistency anyone?

Ok, before I fall off my soap box I'll wrap this up. Let's be consistent. The bailout is designed to help companies. I appreciate the desire to protect the what little taxpayer's money is left but the government's role should be to provide financial assistance until they get back on their feet. This is a bailout... a loan, if you will. It's not babysitting. These companies aren't teenagers. If the US auto industry wants a half-assed restructuring, let them fail. Same with the banks. That way in 4 years our president, representatives and senators can all retire nicely with their government pensions and fresh income as heads of GM and AIG.... "Government Motors" and "America's Income's Gone". [end soapbox]

No comments:

Post a Comment