Thursday, March 5, 2009

Smasharoo the Civic

The drive home last night took an unexpected turn when I got rear-ended in the Honda Civic. I was Eastbound pulling up to a 4-way stop at Raymond & Hunter when I got whacked by a 2007 white Dodge Charger. It took me a second to realize what happened. As I reached to pick up my glasses I noticed a cop car pulling up to the stop sign to my right. I gathered my composure and flagged him down. As he was pulling up, the other driver hopped out of his car saying, "Sorry, I thought you were going." "I was pulling up to the sign. No big deal. It happens." I replied. The officer asked what happened and told us to trade ID's. Since we were blocking traffic, I asked if we should pull off into the nearby school parking lot and he agreed. The officer said he was off duty but asked if we wanted an investigator to come out and make a report. The other driver appeared distraught and, although nice, was trying his best to trade information and leave. According to him he had been waiting almost a month to get in his soon to be ex-wife's house to get his stuff and today was the day. I felt bad making him stay but the cop advised us that state law requires that an accident report be filed if there was more than $750 in property damage. I looked at the car and, despite his pleas, decided this would be in my best interest. Hey, I'm not taking a chance when it comes to insurance bastards companies. We traded information and the first officer went on his way. We waited about 30 minutes for an accident investigator who took our information and provided a case number. I thanked the other driver for waiting, wished him luck with his marital issues, shook his hand and off we went. It could have been worse. My neck's a little sore today but that's nothing unexpected. I'm hoping it will go away in a day or two so we'll wait and see. In the mean time, now starts the long process of dealing with insurance companies, getting quotes and having the car repaired.

UPDATE 3/5 10:40am: Just got off the phone with the insurance company. Seems that Mr. Dodge Charger told his insurance company that I stopped at the sign, threw it in reverse and backed into him. What a load of crap. You know how hard that would have been in a stick? Besides, if I had done that the rear of the car would have been up and his front bumper wouldn't have been able to ride up to my trunk lid. Looks like his, "I'll call my insurance company and tell them I hit you right now," attitude has taken a change for the worse. This type of thing could explain why his soon to be ex-wife had a restraining order against him... but that's my opionion.

Here's some pics of the victim....










1 comment:

  1. Ouch! What a jack*ss. Why do people always seem to change their story to try and cover their butts?! Glad you were ok. Any estimates on the damage yet?

    ReplyDelete