I hate credit card companies. Sure, I could cut up my cards and go live in a cave but I'm a consumer. We finally got a respectable card that had a 0.0% introductory rate for one year followed by a 6.99% fixed rate. It's been great considering the promotional period speared right through the tough of our recession. I've been looking forward to the low fixed rate part to kick in considering new credit card rates are all in the double digits and my other card just got jacked from 8.99% to 15% for no reason.If you've been following the fiasco in Washington, DC, you'll recall that earlier this year, Congress passed a new law requiring a 45day notification period for all changes that went into effect in August. Also, in February, another law goes into effect that limits the credit companies power to raise rates arbitrarily (you know, like the other company just did). A couple days ago, I just received my notice that as of December 31, my super-spectacular card would go from 6.99% to 15.99%. Oh, the did say I was still a 'valuable customer'. This gets me so pissed that I felt like laser beams should shoot from my eyes and light the notice on fire. Alas, I folded it up and tucked it away under some other bills in hopes that it would disappear.
I have to admit that reading this story from CNN brought a smile to my face. In a bit of win, The House did something smart and voted to move the February date to December 1. Now, if you know anything about bills, I'm sure there are some earmarks and other general craptacular things tacked on the bill. I just hope the Senate can pull their thumbs out of their anuses long enough to sign some similar legislature. If that mammoth win happens all it would need is for President Obama to put his light saber down long enough to sign it into existence. If all those dominoes fall the credit card company can kiss my ass because they don't have enough time to notify me between now and Dec. 1st (that's less than 45 days for the mathematically challenged).
No comments:
Post a Comment