Sunday, October 11, 2009

Harmony 670 Dead Again Again

The Logitech Harmony 670 totally crapped out. As you'll probably remember, since last November I've already had two others fail. There was drama getting the last replacement but unlike the previous ones, this one didn't come in the plain unmarked box but rather full retail packaging. Since Logitech doesn't clearly mark refurbs I can only assume this was a brand new remote.

I had called a couple months ago for a replacement because I tried to update the remote and it wouldn't connect via USB. The screen had some dead lines and it appeared that one of the IR pair had failed. It wasn't totally dead and I didn't need to update the buttons so I just dealt with the issues. This weekend the remaining IR pooped out so I unboxed and setup the replacement remote. Gladly, everything went well and that huge "Replace Remote" button in their proprietary software worked without a hitch. I finally updated some buttons to my liking and balance had been restored to the universe.

I made a couple minutes to destroy the broken remote. Logitech's RMA process instructs me to dispose of the old device ('cause they don't want their broken crap back anyway). Since they didn't specify how, I decided to disassemble it. Only 4 screws and some snap clips kept me from the gooey insides. The remote was remarkably simple. A single PCB with contacts, a screen and a programmable chip. Oh, the usb header fell off when I opened it. I guess that explains why it wouldn't work. Too bad this thing is a huge piece of crap. I really like this remote. I thought about turning it into a desk clock but I lost motivation and it's in the trash.



No comments:

Post a Comment