I needed another 500
gb hdd to complete a raid set I'm getting ready to build. Since I just bought a new
1tb external drive I don't really need the "tiny" 500
gb external
Seagate Freeagent Pro drive I have. I decided to do some glorious warranty voiding and gut the innards for the gooey
sata drive inside. I have to admit, this thing is built like a brick. I'm not sure if
Seagate had intended these to weather a nuclear attack but it's pretty solid. Too bad many of these drives get RMA'd because the stupid
usb/
sata controller dies. Armed with
the guide at thydzic's blog I started in. I quickly realized this was a newer design and Google as I may there weren't any updated instructions (at least none on pages 1-3... I'm lazy). I finally gave in to frustration and ripped the bastard apart. The case is pretty much in tact, however, the little plastic clips are mostly gone. I got my drive and, some day, I may actually get to build me a raid.
Stupid broken clips
Seacrate changed the design. Notice each clip turns 90 or 180 degrees. Also, there are no longer vent holes that can be used to get at each clip. Oh, well.
Drive 0, Me 1
No comments:
Post a Comment