
It was a dark day for the Harmony 670. It worked well in the morning and when I returned home the screen was locked up. The buttons appeared to work well but nothing on the screen would change. I did some troubleshooting and once the batteries were removed the screen was blank. Pretty poor for a 3 month old $100+ remote control. I immediately contacted Logitech online. Their contact page requires some basic troubleshooting before you can contact them but since I had already tried all those I clicked through. In less than 3 hours I had a reply from Logitech. It was obviously a form letter with "Hi, I'm Jenny..." added to the top. It requested yet more troubleshooting saying that it's probably a firmware issue. I reluctantly got online and manually reapplied the firmware (every time you make a change, it updates firmware so this is pretty redundant). No change, still broken. I replied to the email as requested. What's funny is the next email was information that they were sending me a replacement. The kicker, the line that said they had disabled the remote online and to simply discard the broken one when the replacement is received. (Pretty smart idea since you can only program these through the online interface).
A few days later, I have a refurbished Harmony 670 in my hand. I logged into my online account, pressed "Replace Remote" and it uploaded the settings from the previous one to the replacement. All in all, it went well. I can't say much for the ruggedness to the remote since a quick search online revealed this is a common problem even in the more expensive models. I guess the only thing I can do is keep my fingers crossed and hope it continues to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment