Saturday, July 3, 2010

Mouse Trip - Day 1

Today, we packed up the family truckster and pointed it towards Florida. Our target for Day 1 was Atlanta, Georgia. I gathered up all the necessary electronics either by borrowing or preparing the stash. We have the GPS (thanks Randy), Google Maps App, the dual screen DVD players, the laptops, a MiFi (thanks Tony) and various cables, splitters and the like. It's incredibly geeky to book a hotel while driving 80mph. Here's a recap of the day.

Mile 13: I start to merge lanes and see something in the road. Instead of an emergency swerve, I think I can clear it. Huh, I didn't. *Keeping fingers crossed*

Mile 19: It's stop and go traffic on I65.

Mile 113: A car is stalled in the left lane. That was 2 miles of bumper-to-bumper rolling.

Mile 218: Why is traffic so slow? Is there an accident? Nope. Cop has a semi pulled over. OMG! Slam on the brakes!!!!!!

Mile 290: Another stalled car and no median. Good job Kentucky. Huh, someone spilled a load of rocks in the North-Bound lane. That backup goes on forever. I'll take the stalled car.

Mile 360ish: Someone goes on a rampage and begins kicking the dvd player screen. He bends the connection that goes to the other screen. Rat Shack has a similar cable for the low, low price of $32. Geesh. I just paid less for McD's.

Mile 380ish: Why is traffic backed up? Uh, oh. Fire truck, fire truck, ambulance, fire truck, fire support truck, police car, ambulance, police car. Crap. Accident tally, one 00's Camaro, a small SUV, a car and... holy cow! a flipped over semi-trailer. The stretcher's are out. Hopefully, nobody's seriously injured.

Mile 491: Look, there's a police car sitting in the grass at the top of an exit ramp with it's nose pointing to the internstate clocking. Amber makes a Dukes of Hazard reference.

Mile 521: Hey, Amber booked a nice hotel in Marietta, GA. I can't wait to sleep. Check that. Guess who's been sleeping all day. At least the hotel has a "free" hot breakfast. I can't wait for another day of driving.


By the way, the police were out in force. The finally tally was 21 (3 of those were crash response but the rest were speed). We passed 6 in Indiana, 8 in Kentucky, 3 in Tennessee and 4 in Georgia.

Also, I'd like to give special mention to a few r'tards who were on the interstate:
1. Red fire safety contractor pickup guy playing on this phone and merging without signals
2. Silver accord chick, black explorer chick and silver accord guy get special mention for not knowing how to use cruise control
3. Douchebag in the goldish mazda for blowing around traffic stopped for an accident
4. Motorcycle dude who overtook jaguar guy who passed me when I may or may not have been doing 15+ over the posted speed (I'm guessing motorcycle dude was doing 110+)
5. Nissan dude and explorer chick who started to go around me when I pulled over for a cop only to realize I had pulled over for a cop that was coming up behind me then they ducked in and started pacing said cop until they realized he was doing 80+ and decide to slow down
6. Finally, some guy driving a blue SUV who is writing a long, boring blog post and should be sleeping

No comments:

Post a Comment