Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Stupid Windows 7 Virtulization

I've been using Windows 7 on and off for a while now. For those of you waiting to take the plunge, it's friggin' Vista with some nail polish. Although I admit that I like about 85% of it now that I'm used to it, I found a new "feature" that almost pissed me off enough to get out my XP rebuild disks. Thanks to Google, which ironically linked to back to Microsoft support, I was able to find my answer.

It seems that Windows 7, in an effort to keep hackers out of my computer has created a process by which certain areas of the operating system are "virtualized." This means that files the OS doesn't believe should exist in a particular place are hidden for your protection in a location that you'll never find... frick yeah! In short, I was trying to edit down some sound clips and the software tried to save the file in the Program Files directory. When I went to put it on my phone, it was gone (insert eerie music). Long story short, it will never show up in Explorer, but may show up in your app, but you can't copy/move or mess with it from that window... huh? right. My answer was Scenario 2 in this Microsoft support page. Thanks, jerks, for wasting an hour of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment