Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Break from the Drive - New Junk

I'm taking a break from my vacation driving rants to share some interesting reads.

Terahertz
This one piqued both my science and Big Brother thinking caps at the same time. What is it, you ask? Well, nothing other than some mystical terahertz technology. Terahertz waves have similar properties to near-IR which can be used to identify thousands of compounds based on the reflected energy. Due to the dispersion of terahertz waves, however, we've not been previously successful in using them for anything short of near range detection. Now, by combining frickin' lasers, they are able to use them as sort of an energy pump to excite molecules which give off energy with a characteristic terahertz profile. Awesome!

Ok, now the big brother stuff. Remember how airports have body scanners? Well, their old ones were repurposed to scan for drugs entering prison. Theoretically, the designer could use high power lasers and the highly sensitive detector to identify compounds from hundreds of feet away. They'd be able to scan your ass for contraband when you walk out your front door. Well, this may actually be a good thing. I've been looking for a cheap way to get my vision corrected. A few lasers and I should be set... or blind.

Skynet
Didn't anyone in the military watch the Terminator series. Ok, I'd like to lead off with a more pertinent reference to the movie Stealth but I'm admittedly one of about 30 people who saw it. For those who didn't get to watch this jewel, it's about an autonomous fighter jet that goes haywire after being struck by lightening (because that wouldn't be a consideration for a multi-billion dollar flying computer).

Now that you're on the same page, BAE systems revealed a stealth unmanned bomber named Taranis that has "advanced autonomous abilities." It can friggin' think for itself. That's better than some of our own citizens. I digress. BAE goes on to say, "Should such systems enter into service, they will at all times be under the control of highly trained military crews on the ground." Commenter Jomolungma responded, "Until they're not." Pretty much sums it up.

3 comments:

  1. I would just like to comment that Jessica Biel was in Stealth. I watched it for that purpose alone, so I'm sure more than 30 folks tuned in for her. Oh and you get a cookie for guessing who this is...hint: I'm blk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my "blk" friend (which, I'll assume means you're "blank", aka Anonymous)... you make a good point. Let me point out that she remained, shall we say, in uniform the entire time. Bleh. I'm glad I rented that movie. I'll use it as an example of why it's bad to conclude a movie by "killing" your once evil self aware autonomous flying Knight Rider clone. That should be a lesson for all of us. Oh, and make a 'special' uniform for Jessica Biel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw, the word I was trying to think of was "sentient". Thanks for Mr. Workshop (aka, Mr. Dictionary) for the help.

    ReplyDelete