The white lines are where I "carefully" removed plastic from the UPS housing
Sunday, September 20, 2009
FrankenUPS
So, here's the scenario. I have an old APC 325VA ups that finally bit the dust about a year ago. I simply purchased a replacement battery from Bob's Bargain Basement Battery Emporium (aka, the cheapest Chinese battery money can buy) and off it went. Despite all the UPS's I've worked on this one never seemed 100% after the repair. It sometimes wouldn't recover after a brownout and was quickly depleted even when the attached device was in low power mode. After sitting on this for several months without fixing it, I decided to play around. The craptacular battery in the UPS is a garden variety 3AH SLA. I had a decent 7AH battery from a failed 24V pair in another UPS (the other one of the pair was toast). After some looking, I noticed that with some plastic removal, I could shoehorn the larger battery in the tiny battery spot. I grabbed some wire cutters and my lineman's pliers and went to work. After a few minutes of demolition, some butter and a large tube of KY Jelly I was able to fit the larger battery in the old spot. Now, some may say I've created a fire hazard since this is totally outside the original design of the UPS but I say I've created a beast. If my calculations are correct, I've upgraded the 325VA UPS to 750VA. She's juicing up as we speak and according to the voltmeter and testing I've done everything seems great. Here's to hoping this doesn't melt into a giant black glob of APC UPS goo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment