Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Trailer wiring... forth time's a charm?
This trailer is driving me nuts! For those of you who have been reading this crap, you know of the ongoing saga that is my utility trailer. I don't think I blogged about this but about 2 months ago I went to pick up my trailer and found that someone had backed into it, knocking it from it's block and the jack fell on the electrical connector. I was in a rush so I MacGuyver rigged it so I could pick up the stuff I needed. I finally bought a replacement connector from Harbor Freight, unboxed it and let's just say the 20ga wire was a pretty good "you get what you pay for" slap in the face. I reluctantly wired it in on the yoke and the world was good. Well, only 2 months later I hooked the trailer to a friend's car and half of the running lights are out. Whah? After doing some tracing the issue was with the new molded connector. Piece of s**t! So, Sunday I swung by the local AutoZone and bought a trailer wiring kit. It actually had 'real' wire (14-16ga). I decided to replace as much wire as possible and pulled cable the entire length of the trailer. Everything was soldered and heat shrunk. Now I admit, it wasn't the cleanest install ever... especially in the back. Well, now I also have a pigtail on the rear in case I want to hook up extension lights or some other lighting I will most likely never do... but it's there! Hey, I had the connector. What was I suppose to do with it?

Labels:
autozone,
electrical,
harbor frieght,
trailer,
wiring
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment