Monday, September 13, 2010

Friggin' Tub Demo II

So, now the bathroom is 100% tub free. Well, according to this pic.



I've actually made progress installing the new tub. After making Hank Hill smile because I used an old school propane torch to adjust some copper plumbing, I made some adjustments to some PVC drain pipe (not pictured). Unfortunately, when I went to glue it together all 3 of my bottles of PVC glue were dried up. When I finally got some glue and put everything together, I was a friggin' 1/8" off. Despite keeping fingers crossed, it didn't work when I test fitted the tub. What sucks is that the drain fitting only comes in a $15 kit. Well, just add it to the bill. Jason stopped by to help me test fit the tub and we knocked out the drain pipes in about 15 minutes. Btw, I want to thank Sterling for NOT including specs on the drain. It made our lives soooo much easier. (end sarcasm)

At some point I got tennis elbow. It hurt like hell when I moved the arm in certain ways. During the peak of my pain, I decided to do some drywall/durock work. Unfortunately, I needed some help so Tony lent a hand. Before I get way ahead of myself, I forgot to mention that in order line up the plumbing I could have either moved everything 1/2" towards the back wall or bumped out the wall 1/2". I opted for the easier solution and got some OSB behind the tub. Everything lined up and I was good to go until I realized the durock needed to slip over the tub and clips which meant I needed to bump it out about 5/8". A handful of furring strips later and I was back in business. I got those attached to the wall and Tony helped make short work of the rest of the wall material. Kudos to him. Here's what it looked like.

I had another opportunity to do more work this weekend. I taped all the joints and did some mud work on top and mixed a small batch of modified thinset to fill the gaps on the durock. Once the mud had a chance to dry I applied texture to match the wall. Btw, the crap in a can sucks. I don't know who designed the knockdown texture but it's impossible to apply to the ceiling. Basically, it starts off good then as the nozzle clogs you get clumps of junk all down your hand. I think it's a material similar to spray foam so as long as it gets washed off shortly after application, it's ok. Otherwise, that stuff will survive a nuclear holocaust. Anyway, after some cursing, here's the pic of the textured portion of the wall.

... and here's a pic of the filled durock seams (notice the globs of "texture" that clumped on the plastic. That's why I was mad).

That's it for now. I picked up the tile and wet saw this weekend so hopefully I'll get some tile time soon. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment