Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Broken closet?

It sounds wierd, eh? Regardless, that's what I had to deal with... a broken closet. Actually, the wire rack hanger/shelving pulled out of the wall dumping the entire contents of our coat closet including all the stuff stored on top of the shelf and every coat. So looking at the twisted wreckage, I'm actually thinking it's going to be an easy fix. That's where I was wrong. You see, when the rack fell, it pulled out every drywall anchor and when those come, they leave nice holes. So I hit up the local Lowes and bagged all the pieces I thought I'd need.

When I went to put the rack back up, I was able to bend it back flat. In doing so, I noticed there wasn't a end hanger on the left side (typically, these are preferred over a brace because they're stronger). Odd, why would they use a brace instead? So, I proceeded to drill the holes for a new end hanger and, as I was doing so, noticed the wall was terribly uneven. Yep, after hitting something behind the drywall, which caused me to do some thinking, I realized that's where my stupid drain stack resides. Heck, they did such a poor job on the drywall, you can almost make out the shape of the fittings. Good job plumbers for centering that crap and thank you drywall idiots for just not using furring strips and moving the wall out 1/4" to make it flat. Boneheads.

Long story short, I filled some holes, replaced all the cheap hanger clips with some new style 160lb drywall anchors and add a second brace. At least it feels much sturdier. If this bastard falls again, I'm redesigning the entire shelving system with a series of pulleys and steel I-beams.

No comments:

Post a Comment