Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Friggin' Tub Demo

So, way back at the end of May, I complained about a hole that developed in one of our tubs. I finally got tired of not having a second bath so I got the saws-all out and went to town. From what I can tell, the tub delaminated near the hole and the supporting structure, in this case the cheap-ass cardboard came apart. This meant that there was only a thin layer of plastic and a little fiberglass and that can't take much of an impact.

Here's the pseudo before pic.

I already started removing the plaster around the tub and some faucet junk. I'd like to put on my Mike Holmes hat and complain about minimum code requirement. Whoever though it would be a good idea to float all the plumbing in the wall is a jackass. Geesh, I wonder why my pipes clang when the washer shuts off.

Here's the first section I pulled apart.
Notice the half-insulated cavity. It appears they forgot to insulate behind the tub. When I looked closer, the vapor barrier (which was on the outside?!) was slashed and the blue foam board had been cut to apparently load insulation from the outside of the house. Great work f*tards!
This bathroom is now 95% tub-free.
Sure, I've got to remove the base but given the floating nature of the water feed, I was hesitant to unscrew the floor drain in the event that decided to fall into the kitchen below (sound familiar, Jason?). Also, I'd like to give special thanks to the electrician who ran the electrical around the friggin' stud (right) and the designer who thought it would be a good idea to put a hot-ass drier exhaust next to the plastic tub (left). *sigh* Looks like this weekend will be tub shopping time.... CHA CHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment