Monday, January 25, 2010

Surprise Chili

My usually boring and drab Monday got upgraded when my co-worker's girlfriend made some chili for me. Before the rumors run rampant, nothing's going on and I didn't do anything special for the chili other than being the super-cool guy I am. I have to start by saying that my wife's chili is pretty good but, unlike me, she's not into spicy things. I like to eat things filled with enough spices to cause indigestion and ulcers and, since my wife doesn't sneer when I get out the Tabasco, her chili works for both of us. I still kinda feel like I was chili-cheating. It's ok, I can still live with myself.

Nicole's chili, for lack of a better name, was quite the pleasant surprise. It wasn't just because of the mysterious, "Nicole made you chili. I don't know why..." delivery but there's a certain allure to surprise food made by someone who's held in such high culinary regard by her significant other (you can thank me later, Pat). I have to admit this was good stuff. There were about 42 different types of beans and spices 6 ways to Sunday. It had a good amount of kick. Enough that it was hot but not so much that I won't be able to smell for a week. It was also devoid of all things noodle which may or may not violate an Indiana state law. This, of course, is my preference but I didn't think chili could be constructed in Indiana with out the noodle union knocking at your door.

So, thanks Nicole for the chili. I really need the recipe. It may take me and a small team of scientists to recreate the recipe but I'll certainly try. Also, don't be surprised if some Teamsters come knocking.

UPDATED: Here's the recipe!

1 28 oz can Hot chili beans (DO NOT drain juice)
1 14 oz can dark red kidney beans (drain juice)
1 14 oz can pinto beans (drain juice)
1 28 oz can Hunt’s tomato sauce
1 1/2 cup tomato juice
2 14 oz cans chili-ready diced tomatoes
1 ½ lbs ground beef
1 medium sized onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, chopped (seeds left in)

Seasonings:

1 tsp Sea salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon dried oregano
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 teaspoon sugar

Combine all seasonings in a Ziploc baggie, set to side.

In a large chili pot, cook the ground beef on medium-high heat until almost all brown, drain fat. Add ½ diced onion, garlic, and diced jalapeno to meat and cook the rest of the way (make sure Pat warns you about how to dice the jalapeno). Once meat is completely brown, stir seasonings, then add beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato juice, and remaining diced onion to pot. Stir well. Leave on medium-high heat until chili comes to a boil, then turn to low (simmering). Allow to cook for 1 to 1 ½ hours, stirring constantly.

Important: make sure you don’t let chili burn to bottom. Constantly stir ingredients off bottom of pot when cooking

5 comments:

  1. I've never been blogged about, at least not that I know of; that's awesome!! Glad you enjoyed, you get some pretty great perks being Pat's friend. I just sent her the recipe to give to you, but I will also share on your blog for anyone who wants a great spicy chili recipe from scratch (none of that packeted, MSG chili seasoning crap):

    1 28 oz can Hot chili beans (DO NOT drain juice)
    1 14 oz can dark red kidney beans (drain juice)
    1 14 oz can pinto beans (drain juice)
    1 28 oz can Hunt’s tomato sauce
    1 1/2 cup tomato juice
    2 14 oz cans chili-ready diced tomatoes
    1 ½ lbs ground beef
    1 medium sized onion, diced
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 jalapeno, chopped (seeds left in)

    Seasonings:

    1 tsp Sea salt
    ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoons ground coriander
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon sweet paprika
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ¼ tsp nutmeg
    1 teaspoon sugar

    Combine all seasonings in a Ziploc baggie, set to side.

    In a large chili pot, cook the ground beef on medium-high heat until almost all brown, drain fat. Add ½ diced onion, garlic, and diced jalapeno to meat and cook the rest of the way (make sure Pat warns you about how to dice the jalapeno). Once meat is completely brown, stir seasonings, then add beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato juice, and remaining diced onion to pot. Stir well. Leave on medium-high heat until chili comes to a boil, then turn to low (simmering). Allow to cook for 1 to 1 ½ hours, stirring constantly.

    Important: make sure you don’t let chili burn to bottom. Constantly stir ingredients off bottom of pot when cooking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeds left in!?!?! Holy crap . . . .

    Now, I gotta try some of this.

    By the way, thanks for sharing, Mel. The other foodie in your workgroup appreciates the thought and kindness you displayed when you said "Hey, Doug, would you like to try this? Nicole made it . . . ."

    Oh, that's right, you didn't say anything.

    FirkDingBlast . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the spoon is still in my trash can. You can stop by and have a lick. It's that good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I will have to make another pot and Pat can bring in leftovers for the masses . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Beavis . . . it sounds like Nicole is nicer than you.

    Thank you, Nicole. Pat is going to allow me to try a sample at lunch today. Lucky for me I work with at least one nice person. Actually, I might work with only one nice person . . . .

    ReplyDelete