Sunday, February 22, 2009

Stupid car

Last Thursday I was driving home and the car started acting funny. When I'd try to accelerate it would sometimes hesitate and acted sluggish. My car doesn't usually act like a cat. That premium fuel and bulky roots-type supercharger usually makes it very responsive. Long story short, nature called so instead of driving to the grocery store I went home to take care of business. I pulled into the garage, put the car in park and it died. I didn't think twice about it so I did my stuff and decided to head to the store. I packed up the car, turned it over and it fired up... well, for about 3 seconds. Despite my tries, the car wouldn't stay running.

I pulled it apart that evening. Since I've had experience with this kind of thing, I turned my attention to the fuel pump resistor. After pulling the headlight and several other components I was finally able to get to the wire. I ohmed it out using the meter and 5M ohms was a pretty good indicator it was done for. It's a dealership item so the next morning I started making phone calls. The GM list is $56 for this part. The first dealership I called was Mike's Buick Pontiac GMC and after what sounded like confusion on the parts person's part he said the price was $80. When I asked why it was over list he only said that was their price. After calling 4 other dealerships and getting a $56 price at each, I've resolved that Mike's isn't the place to go for parts... ever. I ended up making my purchase at Hubler Chevrolet where they gladly honored my supplier discount.

The repair didn't take long. The old one is located between the windshield washer reservoir and the and frame rail. I didn't have the patience to remove the inner fender well, reservoir and all the other stuff to pull out the broken part especially since the new one had a relocation kit. A pair of wire cutters makes short work of the old connection. I drilled a few holes, relocated a new one and called it done. I turned the key and sure enough the beast came to life and kept running. I buttoned it up and called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment