Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Making More Attic Storage

We have a tiny little attic over the garage. Since we've accumulated junk over the years, it's time to rent a stupid storage unit, take more junk to charity or somehow shoehorn more stuff in the attic. I opted for option 3. Past the support beam is some space over the garage. It's 24" on center structured roof but here's the catch, the wiring strings across the beams like spaghetti on a plate. My challenge was to raise the supports before putting down decking.

The Process
I ripped 2x4's and used nails to temporarily hold them in place over the roof beams. I cut some 1/2" OSB into 2'x4' pieces and shimmied them up through the access hole and used 3-1/2" screws to secure it to the beams. Measure, cut, repeat. Here's what it looked like after a bunch of hard work was behind me. Note the wires popping through the gaps under the decking.

Here's a better shot of the same. I had to move some electrical to add a light.

Did some cable management.The Final Product
It's done. Now I've got to find some more junk to fill the empty space... er, wait. No more junk! At least we'll have a place for it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment