Friday, August 28, 2009

Electricity, UPS and Danger!

We had a power outage during a pretty crazy storm last week. Unfortunately, the two hour outage did in my 5yr old 1500va UPS. Usually when these go South the batteries are the culprit. My issue was that the UPS would go on battery backup, realize the batteries can't go for more than 10 seconds then flip back to line. Before the flip back to line power was complete there would be about a 1 second loss in power. That kinda defeats the whole UPS thing. So before I invested the $60 in heavy lead batteries I decided to troubleshoot and make sure everything was ok. The issue? This was a 24v ups. My normal 'rigging' with the jump start box wouldn't work this time. I did some MacGruber with the jump start box and another 12v battery. The description just doesn't do justice. Pic to follow...

Long story short, I have upgraded batteries (24v 18AH vs 14AH factory) and a fully functioning UPS... and I didn't even get shocked! Yay.

Update: Adding more crappy pics of the battery stuff...


No comments:

Post a Comment