Saturday, April 16, 2011

Optical Batteries?

If you're not worried about the weaponized applications of transcranial magnetic stimulations being used to temporarily disrupt parts of your brain, then you probably weren't really interested in reading about optical batteries. Huh? Optical batteries? That's right.

The fine folks at MIT have found a highly atypical property of light. The short version is that by experimentation, they found that passing light at the right intensity through a non-conductive medium can generate a magnetic field 100,000,000 times stronger than previously expected. Woah! Light as actual energy. Basically, this means that in solar cells the extreme magnetic field could create a capacitive power source. Now, there's a bunch of physics that I won't act like I understand but I imagine a world where holding my phone towards the sun for a few seconds would recharge it. Now, that would be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment